Grimston is a village in north-east Leicestershire, north-west of Melton Mowbray, but in ecclesiastical terms it was a detached chapelry of Rothley, in Charnwood Forest.
William Gee’s house was licensed for Protestant worship in 1768, although there is no record of the denomination. John Marston’s house was similarly registered in 1833, with other sources suggesting he was a Wesleyan.
Wesleyan Methodists are first recorded on the 1829 Return of Religious Meeting Places, which counted them at ten. The 1851 Religious Census recorded the existence of a chapel built in 1839, containing 44 sittings, 20 of them free. On census day, a congregation of 70 was recorded for one service, held in the evening. This was unusually high, however, as average attendance was marked at just 20.
After 1851, the only other information about Wesleyan Methodists is provided by Kelly’s Directory of 1895, which recorded that a chapel had been built (or rebuilt) in 1892. This stood at the extreme north-eastern end of the village. The building, now converted to a house, is still there today (2015).
 R.H. Evans, ‘Nonconformists in Leicestershire in 1669’, Trans LAHS 25, (1949); A. Whiteman, The Compton Census of 1676: A Critical Edition (London, 1986), p. 372
 J. Broad (ed.), Bishop Wake’s summary of visitation returns from the diocese of Lincoln, 1706-1715. Part 2, Outside Lincolnshire (Huntingdonshire, Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, Leicestershire, Buckinghamshire) (Oxford, 2012), p. 890
 Leicestershire and Rutland County Record Office (ROLLR), list of religious meeting places, Grimston, QS 44/2/66 and 182.
 Ibid., QS 44/1/2.
 1829 Return of Religious Meeting Places, entry for Grimston, Wesleyan Methodists, QS 95/2/1/46.
 1851 Census of England and Wales, entry for Grimston, Wesleyan Methodists, HO 129/418/47.
 Kelly’s Dir. (1895) p. 78.