The civil parish of Ashby Woulds was a late Victorian creation, and became an Urban District in 1894. There is no separate village with this name, but rather it is the name given to an area of scattered mining settlements along the Derbyshire border, where boundaries have moved several times. The main settlements within Ashby Woulds are Moira and Albert Village.
‘Two small Methodist chapels’ are mentioned in 1863, perhaps one Wesleyan and one Primitive. The Wesleyan is probably the current Centenary Methodist Church, while the Primitive Methodist chapel might be the Primitive Methodist chapel on the edge of Overseal.
A Wesleyan Reform chapel is mentioned in 1881, and can be seen on the Ordnance Survey map of 1884 to the west of the railway line. On the Ordnance Survey map of 1961 it appears to have been replaced by a slightly larger building (still there today), slightly to the north of the original site.
Little is known about this congregation, although the chapel was noted in 1881. It would have become part of The Methodist Church in 1921 upon the merger of the various Methodist churches. The building was still on the same site in Main Street in 1960, and had been renamed Zion Methodist Church.
Return to Protestant Nonconformity: A-Z
- Trade Directories
- Ordnance Survey maps