Croft is nine miles south-west of Leicester.
Daily schools for poorer families in 1818 (population 248 in 1811)
There were two small schools at this time which 23 children attended, paid for by their parents. It was observed that the poor are anxious to be able to educate their children.
Daily schools in 1833 (population 284 in 1831)
Three daily schools are open at this time. One was opened in 1831 and instructed 10 children. The other two were opened in 1834, where 20 children were instructed at the expense of their parents.
Daily schools connected to the Anglican Church in 1846-7
There are no Anglican daily schools recorded in the 1846-7 church school inquiry.
There was a Sunday school which 40 children attended, supported by voluntary contributions. The master of the school received £4 per annum.
There was one Sunday school, supported by voluntary contributions, and attended by 26 males and 22 females.
Anglican Sunday school in 1846-7
The Sunday School was connected to a Diocesan or District Board, and attended by 31 males and 38 females. There was a master and a mistress who were paid £5 5s. and one gratuitous female teacher. The annual expense of the school was £12, covered by subscriptions. The children were taught in a schoolroom which was part of the church.
In 1851 (population 338)
One Sunday School connected to St. Michael’s Parish Church, which was attended by 44 pupils in the morning and 45 in the afternoon. No nonconformist chapel or Sunday school is listed.
Return to A History of Leicestershire Schools: A-Z
- Education of the Poor Digest, Parl. Papers 1819 (224)
- Education Enquiry, Parl. Papers 1835 (62)
- National Society for Promoting the Education of the Poor in the Principles of the Established Church, Result of the Returns to the General Inquiry made by the National Society, into the state and progress of schools for the education of the poor … during the years 1846-7, throughout England and Wales ( London, 1849).
- 1851 Ecclesiastical census