Cadeby is situated to the west of Leicester’s city centre, six miles north of Hinckley.
Daily schools for poorer families in 1818 (population 123 in 1811)
There was no school for poorer children within the village, but John Fry, the Curate, stated: ‘The poor are desirous of the means of educating their children.’
Daily schools in 1833 (population 175 in 1831)
There was one daily school with 9 male and 12 female pupils, and the parents of the children paid for their instruction.
Daily schools connected to the Anglican Church in 1846-7
There was no Anglican daily school.
There was no Sunday School.
There was one Sunday school with 22 male and 26 female pupils, which was funded by subscription.
Anglican Sunday school in 1846-7
There was an Anglican Sunday school, united with the National Society, with 29 Male and 21 Female pupils. The school was situated within part of the Church and had two Masters. The cost of the school was funded by subscription.
In 1851 (population 406)
Cadeby had a Sunday school which had an average attendance of 25 pupils in the morning, and 40 in the afternoon. It did not hold an evening Sunday school session.
No nonconformist denominations are listed within the census.
Return to A History of Leicestershire Schools: A-Z
- Education of the Poor Digest, Parl. Papers 1819 (224)
- Education Enquiry, Parl. Papers 1835 (62)
- National Society for Promoting the Education of the Poor in the Principles of the Established Church, Result of the Returns to the General Inquiry made by the National Society, into the state and progress of schools for the education of the poor … during the years 1846-7, throughout England and Wales ( London, 1849).