Plungar is 9 miles north of Melton Mowbray and 20 miles north-east of Loughborough.
There was just one nonconformist recorded in 1676.
No response from Plungar survives to the Meeting House Return of 1829, but as its Wesleyan chapel was in existence at the time it is unlikely that there were no nonconformist congregations meeting in the village at that date.
The Wesleyan chapel was built before 1800 and was a separate building that was exclusively used for worship and as a Sunday school. It had free seating for 70 people and 40 other seats. On Sunday 30 March 1851 there were morning and evening services attracting congregations of 61 and 92 respectively. The average attendance was not reported, and no associated Sunday school attendance was noted.
In 1875, the chapel was rebuilt for a sum of £450 raised by subscription. The new chapel was able to accommodate 200 people.
 A. Whiteman, The Compton Census of 1676: A Critical Edition (London, 1986), p. 340
 TNA, HO 129/443/38
 White, Hist. Gaz. & Dir. Leics. (Sheffield, 1877), p. 570