Thurcaston lies some 4.5 miles north-west of Leicester and until the early 20th century the houses were mainly grouped along the road (now Anstey Lane) between the parish church and the Wheatsheaf Inn. A few cottages lay further along on Mill Lane between the Inn and the Mill and part of one was used as a Methodist chapel from before the middle of the 19th century. It remained in regular use as such until the last service was held in 2012 and the premises were put up for sale. Its denomination was recorded as “Wesleyan Methodist” in the Ecclesiastical Census of 1851, with a congregation of 38 at the only Sunday service, in the afternoon. It continued to be called a “Wesleyan chapel” in directories published up to 1894 but in those of 1928 and later, it is called “a small Methodist chapel”.
Return to Protestant Nonconformity: A-Z
- Leicestershire Trade Directories
- 1851 Ecclesiastical census
- Local knowledge of Methodists living in Thurcaston