The small villages of Tonge and Wilson are in north-west Leicestershire, on the Derbyshire border, just to the north of Breedon on the Hill, and within that ancient parish.
Thomas Ogle was licensed to hold Congregational services in John Kendall’s house in Tonge in 1672.
A Wesleyan chapel is listed in the Post Office directory of 1855 and by Kelly in 1881, but is not mentioned by White. It is likely that the smaller Wesleyan Methodist chapel recorded in the 1851 religious census for Breedon, and within White’s directory for Breedon, was actually in Tonge.
A Wesleyan Chapel was built in 1826, which attracted a congregation of 50 people in 1829. On 30 March 1851, there were services in the afternoon and evening, attended by 15 and 50 people respectively. A Sunday school met in the afternoon, attended by 35 people.
Return to Protestant Nonconformity: A-Z