This village is on the north Leicestershire wolds, about 4 miles east of Loughborough.
Records of early nonconformity here are difficult to find. A meeting house for Protestant Dissenters was registered in the village in 1800. This may have been for General Baptists, about 50 of whom met for worship in the village in 1829.
A small Wesleyan Methodist chapel was enlarged in 1846. On 31 March 1851, the afternoon and evening services were attended by 30 and 40 people respectively, and 15 people attended an afternoon Sunday School. The chapel had 100 free and 25 other seats.
 ROLLR, QS 44/2/137
 ROLLR, QS 95/2/1/39
 White, Hist. Gaz. & Dir. Leics. (Sheffield, 1846) p. 446
 TNA, HO 129/415/74