East Norton is a village in East Leicestershire, about five miles from the town of Billesdon.
There is little evidence of early nonconformity in the village. No illegal religious meetings were noted in 1669, and only one nonconformist was mentioned in the Compton Census of 1676. The village was a chapelry of Tugby parish, and vicar Thomas Robinson reported no nonconformists at the visitations of 1706, 1709 and 1712. A meeting place was established at the home of a dissenter in 1719, although the denomination is not recorded.
Records are clearer for the 19th century, when the only nonconformist denomination with a recorded presence in the village is Wesleyan Methodism.
The earliest source to record Wesleyan Methodists is the 1851 Religious Census. This noted the presence of a chapel built in 1830, with 60 sittings, all of them free. On census day, a congregation of 45 was recorded for one service, held in the evening. Average figures were not given, and there is no evidence of a Sunday School.
After 1851, the only other information of Wesleyan Methodists is of a chapel built in 1855, described in 1863 as ‘small’. No other records have yet been identified. The building is still standing in 2015, although no longer in use as a chapel.
 R.H. Evans, ‘Nonconformists in Leicestershire in 1669’, Trans LAHS, 25 (1949), p. 139
 A. Whiteman, The Compton Census of 1676: A Critical Edition (London, 1986), p. 338
 J. Broad (ed.), Bishop Wake’s summary of visitation returns from the diocese of Lincoln, 1706-1715. Part 2, Outside Lincolnshire (Huntingdonshire, Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, Leicestershire, Buckinghamshire) (Oxford, 2012), p. 833
 Leicestershire and Rutland County Record Office (ROLLR), list of religious meeting places in Leicestershire, East Norton, QS 44/1/1, rot. 4v.
 1851 Religious Census of England and Wales, entry for Wesleyan Methodists, East Norton, HO 129/410/11.
 White, Hist. Gaz. & Dir. Leics. (Sheffield, 1863) p. 615.